Friday, 7 June 2013

Oh numbers you matter me why ?

Some days back my cousin who was extremely intelligent(by numbers 80% child )till SSC .Her mother enforced him to maintain the level of numbers in HSC too.She even that 80% in SSC was not enough .He was literally flabbergasted for her words ,which obviously was not motivating .This teen took it to heart and made a promise to himself that he will not study at all .It resulted in less percentage in his HSC exams and thus no engineering.Now my mom called me up saying ,"one of the boy in our building scored 58% in SSC " while other girl scored 90% .With no surprise I was more interested in the girls name rather than boys (just because of the percentage).I don't know why we are so tailor made to react with those numbers which are just percentage.
The saga continues everywhere ,During college placements ,one of my friend was not allowed for aptitude test as the eligibility criteria was Above 60% all over .She was having 59% in her HSC .Now no mnc's as per their eligibility would take her inside just because of these numbers .I gave interview in one of the giant MNC's comparable to google. The manager while negotiation ,said we are giving you little less just because of your numbers,i asked him whats the main goal ?I am 4.6 exp in Software QA .What will you do with those past numbers ?.He said its our standard .Really do they need our mug up numbers to get their work done ?.Hats off to numbers who really play crucial role in our lives.

4 comments:

  1. Yes numbers matter unfortunately , i don't who made this particular system to judge people but it seems quite unfair at times. What if someone is not so good in studies in 12th standard due to whatever reasons but picks up in college and does well, same goes for opposite case too that someone does well in school but is not good in college studies.So the point is that current level of student should be judged not his/her history of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well first of all your cousin's really lucky to not get into an engineering college! I wish I wasn't eligible for engineering now that I'm halfway through it. I hate it. I want to fail just so I can avoid going to college. Our system has massive loopholes and nobody is doing anything about it. I don't really like others judging a person's intelligence purely by mere numbers. All the Indian parents are suckers for good marks. Stupid system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ majaal you are right,but still mncs rates persons capablity with numbers .You see number rating in appraisals

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pooja I am lucky for that ,my mom never pressurize us for 90%.:)

    ReplyDelete